Sunday, June 9, 2013

Summertime Reading

For as long as I've been able to read, my summers have always included a summer reading assignment. So, every year since first grade, I have gone to the library right before my vacation down the shore and my mom was always there to remind me that I needed to finish this book. These past eleven years I've prolonged reading the books assigned by school, even if they were not that bad, because I would much rather read for leisure than for work. So, this will be the first year that I can completely pick which book I'm going to bring with me to the beach and I'll be able to read it at my own pace.

I have been reading a David Beckham autobiography for about three years now because it strictly has been a beach book. However, I only read little bits at a time because I have been trying to read my summer reading books on the beach, too. This year, my first goal is to finish the Beckham book while lying in the sand, happily uninterrupted by other assignments.

Next, I look forward to rereading the Hunger Games series with the extra time I will have this summer. I read these books for the first time last February and flew through all three in a week. They were the types of books that made me want to do nothing but read. I couldn't stop thinking about reading what happened next until I finished the trilogy. Now, since the second movie is going to be released in November, I really have the urge to reread all three books. I think that the summer would be the perfect time to fly through the series once again.

With my remaining free time in the summer I would like to utilize Good Reads. I sometimes have trouble picking books for myself to read so I like the way this website suggests books based on my preference. I will go through and rate some more books so it has the best options available. Also I'll look for more books from authors that I've enjoyed and maybe read some of their other work. I look forward to having a summer filled with reading books that I've chosen for myself.



5 comments:

  1. I am like you -- I look forward to time during the summer to read books that I want. This summer I will be reading books that the students in this class have read and suggested. You mention the Hunger Games series, are you going to read the Divergent series too? Who knows -- I may be seen reading World War Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Monica,
    Being a high school student, I completly agree with you. I believe that school work and reading over the summer takes away from the beauty of books and makes it unenjoyable. This is because everyone is so worried about their grades and getting their work done, that they do not focus as much on the book. Although schools are required to assign summer work, I think they should drop the intensity of the work so students can focus on the book and not so much the work. From this, they will still be doing the required work, but it will not be as crazy as before. I wish you the best of luck reading over the summer and hope you enjoy your book. I've read David Beckham's autobiography and it is truly life changing. Good Luck!
    - Willy Shake Dat A$$

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monners,

    I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY!!!!!! I flew through them too and cannot wait to see the movie in November with all my frands. (And don't worry, I will be wearing my hunger games t-shirt). I get what you mean about summer books and reading for leisure. it's much harder having to be forced to read books that we do not particularly enjoy. It's so nice not having a summer reading list this year. Keep up the reading, you seem to have a lot to say!!!

    Ije.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mon,
    I feel the exact same way about having the freedom to read my own books this summer. I have wanted to read The Help for literally over a year, but between summer reading and in school reading, I haven't had the opprotunity to. It is going to be a happy moment when I am finally just laying on the beach reading The Help this summer with no assignments attatched. I was actually surprised to learn that I do have a summer reading book for college this year. Thankfully there are no additional assignments besides just simply reading the book. I think that makes all the difference. It recieved 5 stars on Goodreads and Amazon, so hopefully I'll feel like I am reading more for enjoyment than work. Have fun reading about Beckham!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. SAME HERE MON. Honestly, I feel like reading is just more dreadful if it's school related. It was just out of our control and we just needed to do it to pass English! Now that I don't need to worry about Summer Reading I really am looking forward to reading for pleasure. There's a ton of books out there, it's going to be hard to choose one. But now that we don't have high school sports or assignments, we have the privilege of reading it whenever we want and whatever we want. I've never heard of Good Reads prior to when Cal introduced it to us, however I also want to continue using it. It's a great tool for finding books.

    ReplyDelete